Decreases the Risk of Cancer
Alcohol contains ellagic acid, an antioxidant that destroys cancerous cells. According to a study presented by Dr. Jim Swan and colleagues at the 2005 EuroMedLab conference in Glasgow, Scotland, whiskey contains more ellagic acid than other types of alcohol, providing even more cancer cell-fighting antioxidants.
As confusing as it may look, in small quantities, alcohol can be benefic for health. But excess can create so much damage, that any trace of a benefit is removed. Moderate use of alcohol includes two drinks for a man and only one for a woman per day, under the age of 65. Together with his doctor, a person will set up whether to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer, or this can seriously affect health.
In small quantities, the following benefits can result from alcohol:
- It decreases the risk of cardiovascular problems
- Decreases the possibility of lethal heart attack
- Sometimes, alcohol reduces the possibility of ischemic or other kind of strokes
- Diminishes the possibility of gallstone
- It may decrease the diabetes danger
In large quantities, or in excess, the consequences may be horrible:
- The pancreas, the mouth, pharynx, esophageal, breast and liver are more likely to be affected by cancer
- Pancreatitis may appear, especially in youth
- Atrophy of the brain
- Pregnancy problems, like spontaneous abortion
- Possible malformations and other birth problems of the fetus
- Car accidents
- Suicidal tendencies
- Sudden death in case of cardiovascular problems
- Cardiophaty generated by alcohol
There are certain diseases that prevent the affected person to drink at all, such as:
- Conditions of the liver
- Affection of the pancreas
- Precancerous stages affecting the digestive system
- A record including a previous hemorrhagic stroke
Pregnant women or people whose family has an alcohol associated background must be extremely cautious and, if possible, not to drink at all.
One drink each day is allowed to persons over 65 years, because in their case, a higher consume is more dangerous; the process of absorption needs more time, the effects are stronger, and the risk of intoxication is a real one.
Alcohol must not be used during the following medications’ administration:
- Medication for diabetes
- Beta blockers
- Pain relievers
- Sleeping pills
Both the positive effects of a reduced quantity and the dangerous, negative ones must be taken into consideration. Also, a person shouldn’t be influenced to drink, because no doctor will give such piece of advice. Consumed with responsibility and moderation, in case of healthy persons, the alcohol doesn’t need to be completely eliminated.
Tags: Advantages and Disadvantages of Whiskey, Whiskey advantages, Whiskey Disadvantages, whiskey advantage and disadvantage