Know your rum: There are three main types of rum:
- Dark rum: This is the traditional rum, famous in many a pirate and sailor tale. Caribbean rums are considered the best by aficionados. Always check the strength! Good dark rums include Appleton’s, Myer’s and a wide variety from other islands such as Guyana and Trinidad & Tobago.
- Golden rum: This is an elegant rum that can often be enjoyed straight. It began as a white rum that has been aged in a cask, which adds the colour and increases the flavour.
- White rum: This is colourless rum. Many white rums are aged in casks. They are a delicate rum.
Serve rum separately if it is of excellent quality:
It is a good way to enjoy rum in colder weather. Serve in the same manner as a French cognac:
- Pour into a small balloon glass.
- Warm the glass with your hands.
- Sip slowly and enjoy.
- On a hot day, drink with ice.
Serve dark rum in hot punches: This is a particularly good way to enjoy dark rum. Just be sure to check the amount of alcohol, so as not to make it too strong.