Molasses or Brown sugar
Water (20 L or approx. 5.28 gallons)
Hydrated Yeast (1.5 ounces)?
Extra water to dilute final solution
1. Start by placing 20 L of water in boiler.
2. Dissolve 5 kg of brown sugar or molasses in 20 L of water.
3. Cool solution to 30 ?C (86 ?F) and add hydrated yeast.
4. Leave solution to ferment at 25 ?C until airlock stops bubbling. This should take about 24-48 hours for airlock to stop bubbling.
Ferment – the translation of carbohydrates to alcohols and carbon dioxide or organic acids using yeasts, bacteria, or a combination thereof, below anaerobic conditions.
Airlock – one way valve located close to top of boiler allowing air out without permiting more air in.
5. Once airlock has finished bubbling, allow solution to sit for 3-7 days.
6. Place container under distillate valve to grasp solution.
7. Connect water source to coolant input.
8. Now siphon the solution into the still.
Siphon – a tube or channel bent into legs of disparate length, for use in drawing a liquid from one container into another on a lower level by placing the shorter leg into the container above and the longer leg into the one below, the liquid being forced up the shorter leg and into the longer leg by the pressure of the atmosphere.
9. Begin bringing solution to boil and start running cold water once the solution reaches between 50-60?C (122-140 ?F).
10. Once solution has started distilling (solution begins to exit spout into container):
Discard first 100mL (3.38 fl. ounces). This is an overestimate and will contain all methanols. Collect the next 2-3 L of distillate (solution exiting spout).
Stop collecting once temperature reached 96 ?C (204.8 ?F)
11. Turn off heat source.
12. Turn off cold water.
13. Open lid to still so as to avoid creating a vacuity inside still.
14. Use water to dilute alcohol to predictable proof.
Depending on reflux still, solution can be up to 95% alcohol-dangerously strong for utilization. Use a dilution calculator.
15. Flavors of any other additives can be added to get better taste.
Tags: Making Rum at home, Making Rum, preparing rum, preparation of rum at home